Wednesday, October 30, 2013

You do not have permission to view this directory or page because of the access control list (ACL) configuration or encryption settings for this resource on the Web server.

Today, I was setting up a new sample project in my machine and I just got some unexpected error message for loading .CSS and .txt files but my ColdFusion file .cfm was loading fine.

The error message was:

HTTP Error 401.3 - Unauthorized

You do not have permission to view this directory or page because of the access control list (ACL) configuration or encryption settings for this resource on the Web server.


After little Googling I got the solution but most of the solutions are not described very well. So, thought to share it again.
***NOTE: This issue may come for other types of files like: JS, ColdFusion or ASP files.

What is the solution for this issue?

  • Go to the directory where you have placed your web application files. EX: For my application it's: C:\Users\Upendra Roul\Documents\GitHub
  • Right Click on that directory then go to properties -> Securtity(Tab). You will see a image like below.


  • Click on "Edit" button of the above image, you will see a next window like below:
  • Click on "Add" button as marked in the above picture then you will see a screen like below:
  • Click on "Advanced" button as highlighted in the above picture, then you will see a screen like below:
  • Here, in the above picture first you have to click on "Find Now" then you will see list of users in "Search result" section below as shown in the above picture. Next, select the highlighted user "IUSR" then click on "OK" button. Then you will see a screen like below:
  • If you mark in the above screen, IUSR is selected in the user selection box then click on "OK" button. Then you will see a screen like below:
  • The above screen is the final set up screen. Here, first select "IUSR" from "Group or user names" then allow all permission for that user by selecting the check boxes in the highlighted section. Then click on "Apply" then Click on "OK". After that for all other screens just Click on "OK".

After all these set up refresh your web page you will see all resources are loading perfectly.

Hope it will save your time!!!

34 comments:

  1. Coldfusion 9 doesn't run on Windows 8. I have a Windows 8 machine set up, with my workspace and all of my code. I'm trying to add a Windows 7 VM, with CF9 running and IIS set up to look at the Win8 workspace, and then am trying to hit the IIS site from the Win8 machine. However, even in the Win7 VM, I'm getting the authentication error listed in this article. Adding the IUSR user didn't solve anything. Any other thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you able to browse normal html or text files? If Yes then please try to add "NETWORK SERVICE" user from the list which is responsible for serving dynamic resources.

      Delete
    2. No matter what I do with permissions, I can't get it to work. I can't find a way to give the local IUSR user on the VM's IIS access to the win8 folder that hosts the code.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, you saved my day, someone in my company changes permissions in cascade affecting folders of web applications

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks much! The solution worked for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much ! The solution worked just clean and fine for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this! Initially I got HTTP Error 500.19 - Internal Server Error
    The requested page cannot be accessed because the related configuration data for the page is invalid. I was able to fix this by adding the user computername\IIS_IUSRS to the affected folder and adding read permissions.

    Then I got the above error which was fixed by adding the the user computername\IIS_IUSRS to the affected folder and adding read permissions.

    Thanks again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Correction:

    I got HTTP Error 500.19 - Internal Server Error
    The requested page cannot be accessed because the related configuration data for the page is invalid. I was able to fix this by adding the user computername\IIS_IUSRS to the affected folder and adding read permissions.

    Then I got the above error which was fixed by adding the the user computername\IUSR to the affected folder and adding read permissions.

    Thanks again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are wonderful, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. worked !!! ,,thank youuu

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many thanks, saved me a few hours of troubleshooting!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks. it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very usable, others didn't made a difference, but yours did it just right, thank you ! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice write-up. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  13. As reported by Stanford Medical, It is indeed the ONLY reason women in this country get to live 10 years more and weigh on average 42 pounds lighter than us.

    (And actually, it has absoloutely NOTHING to do with genetics or some hard exercise and really, EVERYTHING to "how" they eat.)

    BTW, What I said is "HOW", not "WHAT"...

    TAP on this link to see if this short quiz can help you decipher your true weight loss possibilities

    ReplyDelete

Followers